Re: Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module [FAILED]

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 08:15 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> what do you get for "cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep svm"  what model cpus do you
> have?

No output at all. Dual core Pentium 4:

model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz

> it seems vmware and virtual box regularly
> break because there kernel modules don't build  and you are left on your own
> to fix it.

There are definite advantages to using things that are part of the
mainline kernel. When they work. For me, KVM often doesn't work, so I
have to use something else. It's that simple.

For what it's worth, Xen is supported by Red Hat in RHEL 5 (and
therefore by CentOS 5 as well), despite not being part of mainline.
VirtualBox is of course "on your own", but I have never had a problem
getting the kernel modules to build. I *have* had that problem with
VMware which, along with the $300 price tag for VMware Workstation, was
the reason for switching to VirtualBox in the first place.

--Greg