Re: Is KDE dead ? Was Re: Stable Release Updates

Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> overall
> its sad quality has become so bad.

I am using KDE4 and it is light years in advance of kde3.
Presently, I have an updates-testing installation of
KDE-4.4.2. KDE has been absolutely phenomenal now for at
least 18 months, with only the kde-4.0 and 4.1 strains
having been somewhat er... difficult.

I cannot imagine why you would install the alpha or even
beta test release candidates when you are having such a bad
time of it. I do use them, with glee, and experience
negligible discomfort, as, only occasionally, there might be
a minor, but easily overlooked, glitch somewhere, but never
to the point that I am unable to perform what I need to do.

I have 4GB of memory and a 1.86GHz Intel dual core
processor. I also have a laptop with 2Gb of memory and a
single core Intel roughly 1.73GHz processor. The laptop
definitely lags noticeably (slow to boot, compositing
effects are slow), but it is eminently usable nonetheless.

I think you are experiencing problems due to very dated and
inadequate hardware. Not even my old Windows XP ran well,
back in 2000, on 512Mb of memory!!! I had to upgrade to 1GB
to be able to use it with any degree of comfort.

I am very grateful for what the devs did, and that I get
such a great thing for free (as in my back pocket), and
overall it is astonishing that quality has exceeded all
expectations. Let's give Gnome 3 a run for the free speech.
Excellent work, guys! Show 'em what you can do.