Re: log in through root

On 28 March 2010 23:38, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> These days I tell people I don't use Windows any more, and haven't for
> years.  I can't even recommend a good anti-virus program to them, or
> anti-malware, etc., because I don't use them, and don't need to.  So
> I've no idea which are good.  And, no, I don't want someone to tell me
> about which are the current good ones (I think they all suck, anyway).
> That line has saved me from many wasted hours.

I have a similar approach.

I tell people unless it's running Linux and probably mounted in a
Rack, I don't have a clue how to fix it. This is pretty much the truth
as I only boot my Windows VM occasionally to edit my Exchange
filtering rules.

When pushed, I "fixed" my sister's laptop that wouldn't boot Windows
(I did spend an hour trying, for which I was paid in cups of tea) by
giving her a Fedora LiveCD so she could access the Internet, her email
and facebook until she could get someone who "knew Windows" to
reinstall it. She used the LiveCD for a week and didn't actually
complain, but she did get Windows re-loaded in the end.

--
Sam