Re: What is /usr/share/locale?

--- On Sun, 3/28/10, BeartoothHOS <beartooth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     I have an ASUS EeePC 701 (the earliest
> smallest slowest, afaik),
> currently running Omega (Fedora for netbooks). I'm looking
> to remove
> everything I can, to make space for my own stuff. (I've
> long since added
> a memory card.)
>
>     "locale" in other apps seems often to
> mean languages -- many,
> many languages. I will use only English on this machine,
> when I use it at
> all. (It's too small for my old eyes and very large
> arthritic hands; I'll
> replace it when I can afford to.)
>
>     If "locale" does mean languages, meseems
> I ought to be able to do
> a lot of removing. How do I best do that?

Other things to consider eliminating are extraneous printer drivers (.ppd).  On my system, there are about 30 megs of them.  I only need two for the two printers I use.

If you don't use or rarely use terminal commands, you could eliminate all the "man" pages as well as specific application documentation and "help" files.

Also, look for applications and utilities that you never use.  All generic installs of Linux are loaded with stuff that you probably don't need.  However, getting rid of it all can be a chore, and there is always the possibility of breaking your system by removing something critical.  So, check dependencies before removing.