Re: smartcard user authentication

john wendel wrote:
> Anyone know how to configure Fedora to use a smartcard for user
> login/authentication?
>
> I know that pam has a smartcard module, but I have no idea how to use
> it. Documentation on the web seems to be pretty old, probably obsolete.
>
> A pointer to a web site with working instructions would be much
> appreciated.  I can ditch my Windows box at work if I can get this working.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Hi John,

Could you tell us more about the smart card device? How is it hooked up
to yur computer? Is it a part of the computer? More details would be
helpful,

-David

PS: Maybe with what you learn in this experience, you could write an
up-to-date guide.

I know of two devices.  A smart card reader and a USB plug in smart card device (www.spyrus.com or other vendor).

You have to start the Fedora smart card driver, and then use the smart card interface software that comes with the card, or you have to write your own.

The one I use is the USB device (with windows).  An API was written to interface to the device.  One has a protocol to respect.  The actual communication with the card is via the Fedora interface.

Regards

 Leslie
Mr. Leslie Satenstein

mailto leslies@xxxxxxxxx