Re: upgrade FC5

--- On Wed, 3/24/10, Thufir <hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems impossible to upgrade FC5
> without a clean install -- is that
> essentially correct?  If I did decide to stick with
> FC5, how, generally,
> would I go about installing java or other rpm's?
> Manually downloading?

By "upgrade", do you mean "update"?

When you "upgrade" a Fedora distro you're going to a higher version number like 6 or 9, etc.  The system files of FC5 are replaced by those system files of the newer distro, and it becomes the newer, upgraded version.  It is no longer Fedora Core 5.

When you "update" a distro, it is still the same distro version but with bug fixes, security, newer system files and apps applied.

Which is it that you're trying to do with FC5?

I've ALWAYS experienced problems "upgrading" even to as little as the next version number, and, now, always do clean installs.  Saves me a lot of time and headaches.

Yes, you can download and manually install old or contemporary rpms, etc., but you'll have to manually rectify all the dependencies, too, and even then they still may not work.

> Can I connect up FC5 with:
>
> http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/5/i386/

If this is an FC5 repository, then yes, probably.  However, you'll need to create a repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d.  Although, livna is a 3rd party repo and doesn't contain the primary system files and applications of the main FC5 repos.

The following link may be of help:

   http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/

FWIW, FC5 is long obsolete and no longer supported.  If you plan to use Fedora extensively, take my advice, install a newer, still supported version.