Shared home directory and NIS

I have access to several linux machines at work and they're all on a
single nis domain.  My home dir is on an nfs mount and is the same for
all machines.   I have xrdp installed on all of them but because the
home dir is shared I find that the second session behaves badly.
firefox wont start and any desktop that has log files fights with its
counterpart on the other desktop.
Is there a way to overcome this?
I cannot change the nis and shared home dir setup...
wcn