Re: Routing choice under user control per application instance?

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 14:07 -0600, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am wondering whether it is possible to choose TCP/IP routing
> for a specific instance of an application - chosen on user-level
> when the application is started?
>
> More specifically I have a workstation with 2 Internet
> connections (different devices), and I would like to have some
> applications connecting to Internet using one connection while
> other applications connecting to Internet using the other
> connection, where I choose which application instance use which
> connection.
>
> I control the whole workstation (root, hardware) so I can do
> whatever on the machine, but not the router / connection.
>
> Any idea?

I have not done what you are requesting.

I did an Internet search and came to the following conclusions:
1) You can mark packets using iptables.
   The marking can be based on type of traffic, ex: html, smtp, etc.

2) You then use ip routing to do what is called policy routing.
   You have multiple routing tables.
   The routing table to be used will be selected based on the marking.

I will suggest you look at the following URL and see if it helps you.

This URL is not for the faint of heart:
http://linux-ip.net/html/adv-multi-internet.html

The key overview to understand this URL is the summary near the top:
Quoting from the URL,
"...Before beginning let's outline the process we are going to follow.

      * Copy the main routing table to another routing table and set the
        alternate default route [38].

      * Use iptables/ipchains to mark traffic with fwmark.

      * Add a rule to the routing policy database.

      * Test!"

I have not personally done this.
I can't do much more than give you the URL reference.
You will need to determine if this as a possible solution for you.