Re: Tell me proper URL for yum checking

SHIMADA, MAKOTO wrote:
> Thanks Ed Greshko;
>

>> Exactly what are you trying to update via yum?
>>
> No, I routinely use "up2date" to keep my RHEL4 machine up to date.
>

>> You can't update the
>> base packages of RHELv4 via yum since RH does not support yum at that
>> release level.
>>
> I know that.
> However, I need to install another software,which require yum.
> So, I have to install yum before the installation of the software.
>
> What I need is the URL to solve the IOError: <urlopen error >.

What you need is the repository information for the software you want to
install....

I have a RHELv4.8 system.  I use yum in conjunction with the EPEL
repositories.

So, my yum.conf contains...

[egreshko@misty etc]$ cat yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800

And in /etc/yum.repos.d  I have the repository files...  One of them is
epel.repo and contains...

[epel]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 4 - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/4/$basearch
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-4&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL

AND MORE.....

In actuality those files were created by installing the epel-release-4-9
rpm from the EPEL website.

So, what is the "other" software you need to install?