Re: SIP Witch, Skype and cell phones...

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 11:45 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 10:50 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 09:15 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > [...]
> > > So SIP Witch is a SIP server, meaning that I could get a SIP capable
> > > phone, set up SIP Witch with a POTS connection and connect my phone
> > > through SIP Witch to the phone system ?
> >
> > I've no idea what SIP Witch is. RTFM.
>
> Its very hard to figure this out from the documentation.   It needs a
> high level overview.

I agree. As with much Fedora docs (and not only Fedora) it's written for
people who already understand it.

> >  But consider this: if it's a
> > server it has to be connected to the net. Connecting to a simple POTS
> > line with no network on top of it isn't going to get you anything.
>
> I think SIPWitch is Asterisk for the home.  You connect it to the
> Internet and to a POTS via an adapter.  Then you call into it with your
> SIP phone and it connects you to the POTS system.  That is my guess.

As far as I can see, SIPwitch is not a VOIP server in itself, but I may
be wrong. Note that POTS is just the basic service provided by your
phone company (voice, voicemail, forwarding, conference calls etc.). It
does not include Internet functions. For that you need an actual
Internet connection.

poc