Re: SIP Witch, Skype and cell phones...

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 13:46 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 14:30 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 11:19 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > > Could someone explain to me in plain english what SIP Witch does wrt
> > > to Skype ?
> >
> > Skype doesn't use SIP as it has its own proprietary protocol, so I
> > wouldn't imagine it does anything.
>
> Thus my question.  The web page states this:
> This feature enables an entirely free software alternative to Skype
> using standard IETF protocols along with support for direct peer-to-peer
> secure communications such as possible with ZRTP capable softphones and
> without need for a mitigating "service provider"

"Alternative to Skype" means just that. It doesn't mean "Skype".

> Is SIP Witch a Skype server ?  Ie can Skype phones connect to it and
> then it makes a SIP connection on there behalf ?

No, there are no Skype servers except those that belong to the Skype
company.

> Or do they mean it replaces Skype as a way to make a call using VOIP ?

Once again, Skype *does not use SIP*. You can have a VOIP service using
SIP, or you can use Skype. The two do not interoperate. They are not
compatible in any way. Some phones may be able to talk both, but that's
a different matter.

poc