Re: Charging USB devices with Fedora

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Kari Somby <familyzombie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It can be something on your USB device or USB port.

To clarify, your motherboard may not be applying device power to your
USB ports.  I don't think USB power is actually required by the
protocol spec, rather its an optional feature.  Even if power is
provided, the amount provided may be insufficient for your particular
device.

> When using USB purely powering purposes, no drivers are needed - only thing is
> that USB devices are enabled.

That's usually the case, but its not true in general.  To charge a
Motorola RAZR from USB, one needs special software.  There are several
freeware packages that enable RAZR charging.  I only tried on Mac OS
X; I don't know whether there is a Linux package that does it.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx