Re: Deafening silence

On 03/14/2010 01:41 PM, Craig White wrote:

> Linux has had sound devices and drivers since way back but the software
> had always laid claim to the devices directly which didn't permit things
> like alert sounds sent by the OS when you were say playing music or
> watching youtube or whatever.

  And if you want your music without interruptions (os or mail beeps) -
I assume that is easily configurable?

> Note that most every
> distribution is also using pulse audio now.

  Although, as an aside, anyone doing (serious) audio turns off pulse
and uses jack - at least best I can tell from those I know that do audio
processing . For real time audio in particular pulse is not ideal - as
you really do need dedicated channels with 0 possibility of interrupts
coming in. Pulse seems targeted at desktop use rather than audio
processing. Tho I don't know why in principal pulse could not support a
dedicated 'jack' mode?