Re: Is KDE dead ? Was Re: Stable Release Updates

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Mail Lists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I'm curious how many current KDE users we have - what percent of our
> install base? And what percent of the desktop install base ?

Perhaps you can do a survey like the one Adam W did on devel recently
and get a straw poll of a sample of Fedora users?
Like you I was a long term KDE user until the switch to 4.0 - once I
had swapped to Gnome I had little incentive to spend time to learn the
new way with KDE 4 once it had stabilised (prioritisation of time
issues!).  However maybe now KDE 4.4.0 is a good desktop again so
perhaps I should have a go and see how it ticks!

>  I actually like the current general pace - its stable but we get
> decent flow (tho it has slowed somewhat over the 12-18 months or so it
> seems) of upstream updates/bug fixes and largely when appropriate larger
> version bumps. Tho things like firefox lag too much imho - but I no
> longer care as I now use chrome which is way way better.

I also like the general pace and most of the time the developers and
maintainers give us a really (b)leeding edge Linux and most of the
time I am happy to do the tweaks that are needed when things don't
quite go according to plan to get back on track, and equally I try my
best to participate by testing new stuff when I can, including testing
packages from the build system before they get to testing repos since
I am only too aware that overall the more testing packages get the
more likely it will lead to a trouble free release to updates at the
end of the process.

>  Congrats fedora management, redhat and contributors - and thank you.

I will certainly second that - overall we should be very grateful to
the many people to devote so much time to making Fedora what it is for
the huge number of people who benefit by having a modern fast and
leading distribution. Those thanks go just as much to developers,
Fedora decision makers, the sig teams as well as the packagers and
maintainers - and also to all of us who use the final product without
whom the effort would have no purpose!

Mike
--
mike c