Re: Backup, what system files are *really* important?

Stuart McGraw wrote:

[...]

> since the rpm database was still intact, I was able
> to "rpm --verify" all my packages, identify those
> with missing /var files and reinstall just those
> rpms.

Congratulations on your recovery.

> Which leads to my question...  Are there certain
> files and directories that should be saved because
> they are unusually important and can help recover
> from common problems, without backing up *all* the
> system files?  In my case above, having the rpm
> database was critical.  I backup config files in
> /etc and elsewhere that I've modified.  Are there
> other *really* important system files I should be
> saving?

One can argue that /etc is mandatory for any backup
which is intended to back up the system itself.

If you are comfortable with reinstall of the exact
same version of the system itself, then here are
some hints of what to back up...

Typical root level directories one might find are

/bin		system user programs, not needed
/boot		system boot programs & config, not needed
/dev		in modern systems, managed by udev & not needed
/etc		system configuration, needed
/home		user data files, not needed (for the system)
/initrd		system files, not needed
/lib		loadable libraries, not needed
/lost+found	file system recovery, not needed
/media		mount points, not needed
/mnt		used for temp mount point, not needed
/opt		possibly empty, not needed
/proc		not a real directory, not needed
/root		root's home directory, not needed
/sbin		system maintenance programs, not needed
/selinux	contains some configuration files, needed
/sys		not a real directory, not needed
/tmp		no useful information, not needed
/usr		perhaps needed, if /usr/local contains stuff
/var		perhaps needed

Incidentally, making a correct backup which is a true atomic event
is not something easy to do with the system in "normal operating
mode". I use single user mode, unmount all file systems (except
for / being mounted ro) and do an fsck before doing backups. I then
mount all file systems I want to back up ro (except the one to receive
the actual backup, if any) and do the backup with everything static.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.