Re: gmpc sound not working

On 03/11/2010 01:26 AM, NoSpaze wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 10.03.2010, 11:16 -0700 schrieb Wendell Nichols:
>
>> gmpc on my laptop.  These things come from rpmfusion.
>> Every sound application on my machine is able to make noise except
>> gmpc.
>>
> Same here. Maybe this entry in /var/log/messages is related:
>
> Mar 11 09:15:44 rodolfoap pulseaudio[9143]: main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: /bin/
> dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
>
> Cheers.
> Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze@xxxxxxxxx
> otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962

Auggggh!  I finally understand!  The people who wrote the mpd (music
player daemon) and the clients created a fully networked architecture
for playing music where the DAEMON PLAYS THE MUSIC!
This is not streaming media at all.  The daemon has to be on your local
machine which completely defeats the purpose of consolidating your music
on a central server.  I started all this because playing music off nfs
mounts caused all sorts of problems when I put my laptop on and off the
docking station (network interruption and nfs problems galore!).
I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would set out to architect
it this way but its usless to me :(
wcn