Re: How to install software without root password (PolicyKit?)

>>> Is this a question for developers list if nobody here know how to do that?

>> This was the default when F12 was released and I reversed it with
>> pklalockdown –lockdown org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-install
>> so you can probably re-enable it with
>> pklalockdown something

> I even found this article:
> http://skvidal.wordpress.com/2009/11/18/polkit-and-package-kit-and-changing-settings/
> But it didn't help :(

Thanks for the link. So the method that I posted is no longer valid
according to DavidZ (who seems to be one of the polkit developers)...

Did you create
/var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/10-pkgkit-pkginstall-policy.pkla
with
[Only Let Admins Install Packages]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-install
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

This looks to me like the right invocation.

If the above does not work, you might want to create
10-pkgkit-pkginstall-policy.pkla
in
/etc/polkit-1/90-mandatory.d
to ensure that it is not over-ridden by another polkit policy (or
whatever these things are called)