sound card not detected on FC12 out of the blue

Hi,

It has been several years (literally) since I have had major sound problems under Linux, since sound support has gotten much better. However, my sound recently stopped working, and I'm mystified. I'm using an HP Pavilion dv9700, which I believe uses an Intel HD audio card. I've gone through a few kernel upgrades on this machine recently, but support for these cards is enabled, so I can't imagine that's the issue. My sound card isn't listed on inspection of /proc/asound/cards and /dev/dsp is missing, though with the deprecation of OSS maybe this isn't even an issue. I'm pretty familiar with Linux, but not so much with sound cards, so I'm not really sure where to begin in resolving this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.