Re: MySQL backward compatibility question

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 11:24 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I'm starting to play around with MySQL and PHP on fedora 12.
>
> With Fedora's fanatical devotion to churning out latest
> versions of everything, I'm just wondering what the rate
> of new MySQL versions that are non-backward compatible
> has been like.
>
> Would I be better off using mysqldump and restoring databases
> across fedora releases as time goes on, or is just restoring the
> /var/lib/mysql datadir sufficient to retore databases most
> of the time?
>
> Just curious about the best way to approach backups if I
> actually accumulate any useful data in these experiments...
----
you should have a regular plan to mysqldump your data (either database
by database or the entire system or both). The fact that you have been
able to migrate up or down merely by allowing mysql to handle the
changes from version to version by altering the files in /var/lib/mysql
directory merely trades on good fortune but if the conversions fail, the
damage may be imperceptible for some time.

the best way to approach backups has always been dumping the database -
nothing has changed there and is highly unlikely to change in the
foreseeable future.

As for 'Fedora's fanatical devotion to churning out latest versions of
everything' - despite the negative characterization you seemingly want
to attach to it, is it actually possible that you don't understand what
the mission of Fedora is? Just in case you missed it...
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview
If Fedora objectives don't track with your needs, there are plenty of
other distributions available, some of which might track your needs more
closely.

Craig

believed to be clean.