MySQL backward compatibility question

I'm starting to play around with MySQL and PHP on fedora 12.

With Fedora's fanatical devotion to churning out latest
versions of everything, I'm just wondering what the rate
of new MySQL versions that are non-backward compatible
has been like.

Would I be better off using mysqldump and restoring databases
across fedora releases as time goes on, or is just restoring the
/var/lib/mysql datadir sufficient to retore databases most
of the time?

Just curious about the best way to approach backups if I
actually accumulate any useful data in these experiments...