Re: What's your fave--Gnome or KDE

On 6 March 2010 15:56, Temlakos <temlakos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/06/2010 10:52 AM, Fred Williams wrote:

On 6 March 2010 15:50, Temlakos <temlakos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In looking over the reviews of Fedora 12, I was shocked that a big piece
of the possible Fedora 12 experience is missing: KDE.

I just discovered KDE. I don't know why I didn't use it sooner than
this. Now is it just my brand-new hardware, or the massive improvements
that Fedora has seen over the last several years, or is KDE the desktop
to beat?

Sure, I had a learning curve--like how to use the new Desktop Folder as
a widget, and how the wallpaper actually shows through it wherever you
need to place it. And how to use Desktop Activities, and the K App
Launcher. But these seem vastly superior to Gnome. Add to it that I've
been using a lot of KDE-specific apps, all of which had a problem

I can't be the only KDE fan here. What does everybody else think?

Temlakos
--

There is a KDE Respin. Personally I find KDE too restrictive in comparison to GNOME, which in turn I find more so than an Openbox session. But if KDE is good for you, have a look at the respin.

Really? What does KDE stop you from doing, that Gnome doesn't?

Temlakos

There are a number of GNOME panel applets that I've yet to find any way to use in KDE, the Kicker menu, even in classic mode, I find difficult to navigate, even running Gnomenu with the K Menu theme isn't easy for me, I find the KDE Panel heavy and clunky in comparison to the relatively lighter and easier to use gnome-panel, the combination of KWin and Compiz is too slow for me, and I find the same holds true for most of KDE. There are some few KDE apps that are useful, but they work just the same in a Gnome session.
For Gnome, I use one panel, with applets that, as said, I've yet to find KDE versions of - or a means to use the Gnome ones in a KDE panel, and with only a few customizations, I can do everything I want from it without making it all that heavier.
Even Compiz enabled Gnome, even with Emerald, I've found that Gnome is far ligher and more usable than KWin alone.
The Gnome menu is simpler, and easier to customize via alacarte than KDE.

This isn't meant to be a rant against KDE - there have been times when I've found it more useful than Gnome. But, I think it could benefit from learning from Gnome and even Xfce. My opinion. I can't deny KDE has it's good points, I just don't find any of them myself.