Re: Additional instances of tomcat6 - broken

Hi Oliver,

Am Samstag, den 06.03.2010, 09:15 +0100 schrieb Oliver Falk:
> I usually achieve this via seperate context - you can reastart each app
> seperatly. And (usually) the apps don't step on each other toes and a
> broken app doesn't kill the whole Tomcat.

Our problem is that this currently doesn't work correctly :-) We have to
do a lot of development work taming several background threads during
context shutdown.

> However. With multiple Tomcats I usually run multiple (virtual) servers.
> In my old company we used to have seperate tarball-installs running from
> /home/tomcat/<instancename>. Used to work fine as well - with a special
> initscript that could start/stop all instances, as well as a specific
> one. However, it was a update nightmare, as you can guess. Links would
> have done a fine job in that case - I guess.

Yes, and I hope it will be less terrible using the Fedora init scripts.

Well, I found the fault in the current tomcat init scripts.
In /usr/sbin/tomcat6 the standard config file is "sourced" (lines 13-19)
and makes the parameters, prepared by /etc/init.d/tomcat6 to be passed
in using environment variables inaccessible. Removed those lines and it
flies.

I'll file a bugzilla entry and provide a patch.

Thanks for your efforts.

Peter