Re: postfix issue...

On 03/04/2010 09:25 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 20:04 -0600, Mikkel wrote:
>> If you think of it that narrowly, then you are correct. But if you
>> take it as an example on how to set up using a smart host with sasl,
>> then you have a wider audience.
>>
>> For that matter, you get people like me, that 3 different smart
>> hosts, depending on the email address doing the sending. Then there
>> is the general relay host for the mail that does not match those
>> rules. Because this setup is on my home network, I can not send the
>> mail directly from here. For some reason the DSL IP addresses are on
>> the DUN list. ;)
> ----
> I was just generally referring to the issue of smarthost = gmail which
> has nothing to do with SASL as far as I could imagine. For that matter,
> smarthost setup really has nothing to do with SASL.

Well, part of the thread was the problems he was having setting up
SASL to work with the connection. Gmail does not like plain text
user name/password when connecting to their server.

> I am definitely certain that few can match your ingenuity if you are
> doing 3 smarthost routing methods based upon sender e-mail address
> because you already know that while you are providing testimony to
> postfix's flexibility, it was not really designed to scratch that itch.

Actually, it is. Take a look at "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" -
it will let you map relay hosts by user.

> I can appreciate that it is probably not the easiest thing to get DSL IP
> addresses, especially dynamically assigned addresses out of Taiwan to be
> recognized as smtp sources these days... even if you get the e-mails
> delivered, I would suspect that the spam score would make it somewhat
> difficult.

It isn't that hard to get one from AT&T - you just have to be
willing to pay for it. It is cheaper to pay $12/year for web hosting
and route email through their server. But when I use my Gmail or
Yahoo e-mail addresses, I like the message to come from the correct
server. On the other hand, if my infinity-ltd.com mail was sent
through their servers, it would get rejected by many mail servers.

Mikkel