Re: postfix issue...

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 11:49 -0800, bruce wrote:
> hey
>
> I know this isn't an OS question, but I'm lost!!
>
> New to configuring Postfix, with a few questions about how to configure Postfix.
>
> I'm running Fedora, with Postfix, from the basic yum install. The
> Sendmail process has been stopped.
>
> I can easily send a basic test mail from the cmdline. Ie:
>
>   mail foo@xxxxxxxxx
>   subject: blah
>   test
>   .
>
> works with no issue. However, the email on the gmail end, is in the
> Spam folder, which is to be expected.
>
> As I understand the different articles I've seen, Postfix can be
> configured to allow me to authenticate emails, to in effect,
> relay/send them using the authenticaion of a valid email user/passwd
> from a valid gmail account. (or from my own isp user/passwd). This
> would then allow the emails to be in the Inbox folder!
>
> I've seen a great deal of online articles, but I'm still confused as
> to exactly what's required to make this happen.
>
> I know that the main.cf, as well as the transports/sasl-passwd files
> have to be modified. I'm confused as to whether certs are actually
> required, or if TSL is/is not required....
>
> So, I'm trying to figure out exactly what config files have to be
> modified, as well as what has to be inserted in the config files.
>
> If I could see the confi files from someone who's actually gone
> through this process, I could more quickly get my head around what
> I've screwed up!
----
configuration on the postfix server probably factors little into the
decisions made by a 'spam' filter but generally, you can check the mail
headers of any e-mail in a spam folder (like on Gmail) to see if it has
the 'scoring' which will tell you exactly which factors led to it
scoring to a number that caused it to believe it was spam.

At this stage, I simply will not accept mail from any smtp server whose
forward & reverse DNS don't match. So if you are sending me e-mails from
server mail.example.com you better have a reverse DNS address that tells
me that your ip address points to mail.example.com. Perhaps if Gmail
accepts that type of e-mail, it gets a really big scoring penalty where
pretty much any other factor will push it over the top and be marked
spam. You could also try to use things like SPF or domainkeys to up the
trust factor of your server.

Whether you used TLS to authenticate to your mail server in order to
send is not too likely to affect the spam scoring and there's little
reason to duplicate the excellent documentation over at postfix.org's
web site which tells you what to do to implement TLS & SASL
authentication, how to generate certificates, etc.

Craig

believed to be clean.