Re: rpm providing pdftopdf in fedora 12?

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:50:58 -0800 (PST) Patrick Bartek
<bartek047@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks very much! Good point. The trouble is that my pdf
> > file is 12 MB
> > long. The website for a journal will only accept 6MB. There
> > are all
> > these sites (Manuscript Central, EES, etc) which take a
> > huge pdf file
> > (such as 25 MB) lets say and convert it to something very
> > small (such
> > as 2 or 3 MB, lets say) so that it can go for peer review
> > and they have
> > to be using some conversion program. I was thinking that it
> > is
> > pdftopdf. But maybe not.
>
> Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not aware of any native Linux utilities that do exactly what you want.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Try pdftk, PDF Toolkit, or pdf-tools.  There are a lot of other 'yum info pdf*' or *pdf listings.
>
> Also, does your journal site accept zipped files?  Since pdf is mostly plain text, zipping them can reduce their size considerably without changing the content.

Thanks again, Patrick! I will try this. The journal site (Electronic
Journal Management System or some such) accepts nothing but a single
pdf file. I have sent an e-mail to the "E-mail contact" but have not
heard back yet.

Best wishes,
Ranjan