Re: package rollback

Dj YB wrote:
> [...]

[ revert them all...]

> thanks,
> what I meant was I don't want to change all 35 or so packages just to revert
> kdepimlibs since I am afraid removing all these packages will do a greater
> damage.
> thanks for the explanations though.

IMO

The way to do what you want is...

FIRST, make a full backup of your system, and make sure that you
can successfully retrieve files from it. You need to be in
single user mode with all file systems mounted RO (except the
one to accept the backup) for this to be a guaranteed snapshot.
I'd boot to single user, unmount all file systems, except for
"/", which I'd remount to RO, and run fscks on all of them,
then mount them, with only the file system to take the backup
(if any) mounted RW.

THEN, upgrade to the new packages, and give them a trial run.

When you decide you need to "revert", then

MAKE ANOTHER BACKUP, a "differential" style one, and verify that
you can successfully retrieve files from it. Again, be in single
user mode, and all file systems mounted RO.

Then, revert the system back to the state of the full backup,
and selectively retrieve the files which changed during the
interim trial period of using the new software, getting only
those files (like e-mails, etc.) that you want, but not retrieving
the packages you installed on a trial basis.

Just installing and then trying to untangle the mess later is
too much work, and likely to have unintended consequences,
anyway.

It sounds like a lot, perhaps, but one needs to plan for such
eventualities, and IMO, it's less work to revert a system than
to try to untangle it.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.