Re: KAddressbook, Nepomuk, etc

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 15:44 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 March 2010 02:53:14 pm Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > I'd really like to have a "database" for storing
> > information about contacts (as in an address book).
> > My base is Fedora/KDE.
>
> Yes, I would love such a thing too. Do you have one? :-)
>
> Seriously speaking, it could be used not only for contacts, but in general.
>
> > My requirements are:
> >
> > 1. The application should be web-based,
> > like CUPS, BackupPC, etc.
>
> This is crucial. If I could access the database over a web interface, that
> would be quite sufficient. Actually, what you want is basically a good and
> functional web-oriented GUI frontend for, say, mysql backend...
>
> > 2. There should be a simple interface with mobile phones.
>
> What do you mean by this? When you are accessing the database remotely (via
> the web interface), how do you plan to connect to a mobile phone?
>
> > 3. There should be a simple interface with KMail/KAddressBook.
>
> This should be something like "import contacts from the web" kind of option in
> KAddressBook. It's probably doable. Or, there could be an "export into
> kaddressbook-type file" button in the web interface, which is probably even
> easier to implement. Or a comma-separated-values file, which virtually any
> addressbook app can import.
>
> > 4. The program should be sufficiently flexible
> > to allow new fields (eg images) to be added.
>
> This is also crucial. I could really make use of a database with dynamic field
> configurations in tables. Or a sufficiently powerful web-interface which would
> instruct mysql backend to do all the hard work.
>
> > 5. The program should allow general information
> > eg about films or books to be stored.
>
> Even better, I would wish to be able to store an arbitrary file into a database
> field. Or have the field contain a symlink to the file. So I don't want to have
> _information_ about films and books in the database, but rather the actual films
> and books themselves.
>
> > 6. I'd like the program to interface with Windows Outlook
> > and similar Windows programs.
>
> Well, I don't need this one. And web-like access to data is platform-
> independent, so at least that part could work everywhere.
>
> > Currently OpenLDAP is the nearest I can get to this,
> > but I find it very cumbersome,
> > and there seems no simple GUI interface.
>
> Well, as I said above, the *only* thing that is actually needed is a powerful
> web GUI, for *any* database backend. Mysql, postgresql, openldap, a plain text
> file, whatever does the work.
>
> > As far as I can see, Nepomuk aims vaguely
> > at something like this,
> > but it seems too far from practical use to be of much value.
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution to this,
> > or indeed whether anyone shares my desire?
>
> Oh, if you ever find such a thing, do send me an e-mail with a link! It would
> make my life sooo much easier... :-)
>
> BTW, I would add the following requirements:

> [...]
----
you can pretty much do this with horde/imp/turba/kronolith/etc.

http://www.horde.org

I will warn you however that this is intended to be 'groupware' and is
complete overkill for single user usage. And more specifically, it is
designed for a knowledgeable system administrator install and is
probably beyond the average user to get installed. The reason is that it
is designed for maximum flexibility (whatever database, ldap if desired,
whatever mail server, whatever mail filtering methods, etc.) so the
implementation while being very flexible requires a substantial
understanding of the underlying software and separate configuration for
each module. By the way, the turba implementation for LDAP address books
and ingo implementation for sieve is brilliant. Outlook however doesn't
by default understand caldav.

Craig

believed to be clean.