Re: Fedora 12, Xorg, and Apex Outlook KVM, - can't nail resolution

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 07:24:55 -0600
Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

> > Or if you really want to perform a service for the linux
> > community, you could travel the incredibly steep learning
> > curve on EDID and xorg software and provide a new module
> > for X that lets you plug in custom EDID info to override
> > the stuff it tries to get from the monitor (shouldn't take more
> > the 3 or 4 years to come up to speed...)
> > --
>
> As the number of years to retirement is getting into the single
> digits, I might just do that.  Thank you for the suggestions.

Actually, I was poking around some on google, and found that the
nvidia binary driver already has a fake edid option, but it sure
seems like it would be more useful if it was driver independent.
(I hope all the individual drivers don't all implement separate
code to read edid info).

I even found a hardware edid emulator that lets you override
edid info outside the box on the way to the video plug :-).