Re: Fedora 12, Xorg, and Apex Outlook KVM, - can't nail resolution

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:21:29 -0600
Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

> I appreciate any time and help which can be offered.

Getting X to pay attention to a custom setting has
become increasingly difficult. They ignored EDID monitor
info for 20 years, then instantly transitioned to ignoring
user specified settings. I waged a battle several releases
ago documented here:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html

I doubt any of the specific things I found will help, but
perhaps the general technique will work: Look at the xorg
log file for the message that says why it ignored your setting,
then look through the source of the X server and driver for
your video card to see where it prints that message and if
there is some setting you can change in xorg.conf to make
it get farther. Iterate till success or you throw yourself
off a high building :-).

Or if you really want to perform a service for the linux
community, you could travel the incredibly steep learning
curve on EDID and xorg software and provide a new module
for X that lets you plug in custom EDID info to override
the stuff it tries to get from the monitor (shouldn't take more
the 3 or 4 years to come up to speed...)