Re: Looking for advise on a special grub setup.

On 02/28/2010 10:03 PM, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have two hard drives which look like this:

> /dev/sda6             9.4G  1.5G  7.5G  16% /
> /dev/sda11             85G   45G   36G  57% /g
> /dev/sda10             30G  6.1G   23G  22% /h
> /dev/sda5              30G   21G  7.6G  74% /home
> /dev/sda8             1.9G   36M  1.8G   2% /tmp
> /dev/sda9             9.3G  4.7G  4.1G  54% /e
> /dev/sda2              31G   19G  9.9G  66% /var
> /dev/sda3              31G  9.4G   20G  33% /usr
> /dev/sdb1             294G  244G   36G  88% /d2
> /dev/sda1             479M   52M  403M  12% /boot
> tmpfs                 1.5G  472K  1.5G   1% /dev/shm
>
> I just bought a new 1T SATA drive to add to the mix, and here's what I'd like
> to do (but I don't understand how to do it).
>
> I want to add the new drive as a third disk so that the system will continue
> to boot off of sda. I'm current;y running F10 in 32 bit mode.
>
> After I add the new drive, it will be seen as sdc, and I will want to install
> F12 in 64 bit mode on sdc.
>
> Q0: Can I tell the install DVD to install on sdc and to leave sda alone?

Yes.

> Q1: Is it possible to have multiple bootable devices? And how do I do this?

You will need to add a grub entry to sda's grub menu to boot F12 from
the sdc disk.  This should be the *only* change you *need* to make to
the sda stuff.

> Next, after I'm thrilled to death that sdc is how I want it to be, I want to
> make a cutover so that sdc will then become the primary boot device. My
> understanding is that the four SATA plugs I have on my motherboard are defined
> so that one (currently sda) is considered to be the primary device.
>
> Q2: When I do a cutover, do I have to switch the cables on the new sdc and
> what is now sda? Will the new drive end up being referred as sda and the now
> current sda become sdc?

That will depend on your hardware.  On mine I can configure it in my BIOS.

> Q3: Is there a grub command I need to run to make the new drive become the
> bootable device? Or do I have to then reload from scratch to make it all work?

You will need to install grub into the MBR of sdc when you change over.
 That will allow you to see the grub config that you install on *that*
drive (which is different from the one you installed on sda).  You may
need to set that up just before you pull sda from your configuration.

> Thanks :-)

Good Luck, and happy hacking!

--
Kevin J. Cummings