Re: Fedora 12: issue with PyGTK2/Python based applications

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:22:50PM -0600, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> Hello Everyone
> I have been having a very annoying problem with a lot of Python/PyGTK2
> based applications.  I can only run them as root.  If I try to run them as
> a regular user, they fail somewhat like this:
>
> [steve@localhost ~]$ listen
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "listen", line 37, in <module>
>     import gobject
> ImportError: No module named gobject
> [steve@localhost ~]$
>

> [steve@localhost ~]$ bleachbit
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/bleachbit", line 41, in <module>
>     import gtk
> ImportError: No module named gtk
> [steve@localhost ~]$
>
> I tried re-compiling the pygtk2 SRPM from Rawhide.  I successfully updated
> with the resulting RPM's.  bleachbit and listen both started working as a
> regular user!  Unfortunately, I then rebooted into the latest kernel.  The
> result was that listen and bleachbit no longer worked as a regular user...
> I have since used "yum downgrade" to downgrade back to the original pygtk2
> RPM's.
>
> So, does any one have any great ideas?  Is anyone else having this same
> issue?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Hi Steven, I know there is nothing wrong with pygtk2 itself in F12, as
I am currently using it for a side project.

Did you have a problem with an interrupted yum transaction at some
point?  Try running 'package-cleanup --problems' to find out.