Re: recommendations for version controlling /etc on a new f12 box?

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 21:53 -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > technically, etckeeper seems to be little more than a (by default)
> > wrapper around git.  i could just as easily finish the install, "cd
> > /etc" and run "git init" to create the initial repo there, then "git
> > add" to add it all and make that the first commit, then just commit
> > after each significant change.  etckeeper looks to just be a pretty
> > front-end to the underlying git.
> >
> > unless i'm misreading it badly.
>
> I believe the advantage etckeeper provides is that it integrates with
> yum (and apt, and other packages managers) to automatically import
> changes to git.  That way you don't have to manually check in every
> change made when you update software and it installs a new config
> file.
>
> This sounds somewhat handy.  It's a decent step between not managing
> things at all and using a full configuration management tool like
> puppet I suppose.
----
I truly count on packages to install 'rpmsave' conf files from the new
installations rather than replacing the in place conf files so perhaps I
am stupid but I fail to understand the benefits of the logic above (not
puppet but etckeeper).

Craig

believed to be clean.