Re: recommendations for version controlling /etc on a new f12 box?

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 17:06 +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> > On 02/18/2010 03:55 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >    i'm about to install f12 fresh on a new laptop and i thought
> > > it would be fun to version control all of /etc since that's
> > > where all the fun happens.  anyone doing that?
> > > recommendations?  a quick google found this:
> > >
> > > http://aymanh.com/version-control-linux-configuration-files-etc-etckeeper
>
> That looks sort of cute.
>
> > > i'm just curious if there's a strategy that's clearly superior
> > > to the rest, or if this sort of thing is even worth it.
>
> I haven't done it, but I think about it occasionally.  Maybe next
> installation.
>
> Before I saw this, I figured on using Subversion.

  technically, etckeeper seems to be little more than a (by default)
wrapper around git.  i could just as easily finish the install, "cd
/etc" and run "git init" to create the initial repo there, then "git
add" to add it all and make that the first commit, then just commit
after each significant change.  etckeeper looks to just be a pretty
front-end to the underlying git.

  unless i'm misreading it badly.

rday