Re: change HDD without Re-installing Fedora 12 ..!!!!

Jatin K wrote:
> Dear list
>
> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook  with 160GB hdd
> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB  to 320GB
> 7200 RPM
>
> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
> in old one
>
> is there any  way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
> be something like that

If you just want more space, there are several things already mentioned which
will work. If you want to get best performance you will have to manually build
the new layout. If you have some application or data which is taking most of the
space, like MP3, flash clips, pictures or movies, you will get better
performance putting them in a filesystem tuned to the file size involved, and if
you have a huge number of small files you might consider a filesystem other than
ext4 default, either something else or some of the neat extended options which
can make things faster.

For "more of the same" there are a number of solutions, read the suggestions you
have and choose.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>