Re: recommendations for version controlling /etc on a new f12 box?

Subversion can provide automated continuous backup with a post-commit
hook that calls the hot-backup.py script.  The hot backup makes a
compressed tarball of the entire repository, placed in the directory
of your choosing.  The name of the tarball is taking from the
repository's revision number.

(A Subversion repository has a single revision number for the whole
repository, or effectively, if it is at revision 42, and you check in
just one file, then all the files that were at 42 will also now be at
43.)

The hot backup will optionally delete older tarballs, so if you like
you can keep just a fixed number of them around.

I use this for my own personal source code, in addition to a cron job
that runs rsync on the directory where I drop the Subversion tarballs,
to copy them to an external drive.  Once a week, I swap that drive
with an identical drive that I keep in a bank safe deposit box.

I expect that it would work to put your whole /etc directory in
Subversion if you tried.  Alternatively, you could have a mirror of
the /etc tree somewhere else, then use rsync to deploy updates when
you were sure they were ready.

I Got Religion about backups a little over a year ago, when I lost the
third hard drive of my career.  I managed to recover most of the
files, but some were a total loss.  I recovered all the files from my
first failure, but the drive itself was a goner.  The second drive
started making these loud clicks, and was an instant, total loss.

I'm not where I want to be with my backup system, as it is still
mostly manually-operated, but I'm getting close.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx