Re: F12 NO LONGER very bollixed

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:15:30 +0000, BeartoothHOS wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:15:30 +0000, I BeartoothHOS wrote:

> My wife got an obnoxious popup on her machine, couldn't get rid of it,
> and called me downstairs. I got rid of it in a trice -- and then dove
> heavily into a trap.
> 	[....]

	Someone local suggested, among other things, booting to single
user. and :

>After that try "yum remove wine" and see if that helps. Also, you could
>rename /etc/xorg/xorg.conf to back it up and see if it auto detects
>things

        Single-user did indeed still work, as did moving xorg.conf. After
that, I went on tweaking stuff for hours (without removing wine). At last,
at long, long last, it does both boot and connect -- although for a long
while things like PackageKit, which have to connect, did; but things from
Firefox to ping kept denying they had a connection.

        I'm not sure what all I changed; one thing I did not, alas!, was
that wasted inch or so of screen along the left side. (I suspect one of
the buttons on the monitor might be all it needs; but those are cleverly
designed so that no human ingenuity can read them ....)

        Anyway, her machine is once more good enough for
whatever it's for, and most of the egg is back off my face.