Re: Display settings should not be per user

2010/2/12 Tobias Ringström <tobias@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 02/12/2010 08:47 AM, Marcel Rieux wrote:
>> I'm trying in vain to get Twinview to work with NVIDIA's proprietary
>> drivers. You know, images that show in a 5x4 format on my Viewsonic
>> monitor showing fullscreen in 5x4 format on my Sony TV and images that
>> are 16x9 filling up all the TV screen.
>>
>> Do you believe this it is possible with the Nouveau driver? That would
>> be wonderful, mainly if it wouldn't prevent me from installing a TV
>> tuner later on.
>>

> All I know is that dual rotated monitors as well as dual monitors with
> different resoltions works very well here (no xorg.conf and only using
> gnome-display-properties).
>
> Perhaps just give it a try?

I did... with Omega. This way I didn't have to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers.

Yes, if you select "mirror", the two screens are the same, except that
the aspect ratio is only correct on the Viewsonic monitor. On the TV,
everything is stretched horizontally to fill the screen.

Only two different X screens provide correct aspect ratios on both
screens. One advantage of Nouveau, here, is that it permits to open
the same application in both screens, which NVIDIA doesn't allow.

IOW, when applications open in 2 different screens, they "know" what
screen they're in and the aspect ratio is correct. When mirrored (or
cloned), the card doesn't interpret the data its receiving to adapt to
the other screen, even though the NVIDIA driver seems to do an effort
to achieve this. But it doesn't succeed.

So, I believe that's it. What I wanted is impossible. Now, if only the
cursor would stop going to the TV screen even when the TV is shut
down! This is a bugger, mainly when using the Google/Yahoo search
window in Firefox.

A solution would be to make two different xorg files and use the
monitor or TV one at the time: either the monitor is your monitor, or
the TV is.

Your suggestion to use the Gnome display settings taught me how things work.

Thanks.