Re: Help Diagnose Slow Disc Access

Alan Cox wrote:

[...]

> You also want to avoid two disks on one cable as the IDE interface only
> allows one of them to be active at a time so its a good way to cripple
> performance.

My previous reply may not have been quite motivational enough.

There is a physical constraint as to where the discs can be
mounted in the case which makes it difficult to run then on
separate controller interfaces. These discs are 3.5" form
factor, and the CD and DVD drives I have are 5.25" form factor.

The natural thing would be to put the two disc drives as the masters
of the two ATA channels provided, and make the two removable
medium drives be the slaves. However, the 5.25" bays are about
eight inches from the 3.5" bays, so this is physically difficult
to realize.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.