Re: Display settings should not be per user

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 22:56 -0800, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> It would make sense for the cathode ray tube multisync monitors from
> the days of yore.
>
> Obsessive geek types could set the resolution very high to fit more
> source code on the screen...
>
> ... while those with poor eyesight could set the resolution very low,
> to make text larger and so easier to read.

Why do people repeatedly get this so wrong?  (Users and those making the
systems.)  The pixel count and resolution should be set to match the
display card and the monitor, it's the FONT SIZE and graphics sizes that
you should change.

It's the *only* way to get things to work properly.  Circles get drawn
as circles, not eggs.  Print previews are able to show things at "real
size" on request, which puts an end to masses of test prints trying to
get something you want printed at 1 cm square (for example) to actually
print at the correct size.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686