Re: latest F12 quckly unusable after restart

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 20:21 -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Since I updated my F12 workstation on Tuesday (haven't done it for two
> weeks before that) my machine becomes unusable pretty quickly after
> every restart.  Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after a few hours.
>
> It manifests itself in an ever increasing load, although top doesn't
> show anything running.  Shell processes simply stop while typing.  I.e.,
> they don't accept any more keystrokes and just freeze.
>
> X overall becomes very sluggish.  Scrolling in firefox moves pixels bn
> lines.  The Xorg process is eating up lots of CPU cycles and kmsd (I
> assume kernel mode switching support in the kernel) also shows up.
>
> At least before the last reboot I see tons of ext4-dio-unwrit processes.
>   Last time 81 of them.  And I lost data at one of the many reboots.
>

> The machine is a single socket i7 with plenty of RAM.  Lots of disk, one
> RAID 0 and one RAID 1 among the filesystems.  All ext4.  The graphics
> card is a dual head ATI.
>
> Anybody else seen something like that?
----
I had 2 hard freezes in the last week but my setup is decidedly
different. Using nouveau driver and nouveau.modesetting=0 as boot
parameter and the first time, I thought it was the KVM I am using but
the second time was over night / idle. I use KDE and I would guess that
you are using Gnome.

One thing that seemed to be a problem was Evolution (no great shock
there). When I got Evolution to quit, things seemed to recover a bit. Of
course I updated (sheesh there are so many updates it seems every time I
update F12).

Anyway, I thought maybe my hardware was getting flaky - maybe not. It
has been running for...
21:50:02 up 1 day, 14:16, 13 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.19, 0.27

I've got my fingers crossed...

Craig

believed to be clean.