latest F12 quckly unusable after restart

Since I updated my F12 workstation on Tuesday (haven't done it for two
weeks before that) my machine becomes unusable pretty quickly after
every restart.  Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after a few hours.

It manifests itself in an ever increasing load, although top doesn't
show anything running.  Shell processes simply stop while typing.  I.e.,
they don't accept any more keystrokes and just freeze.

X overall becomes very sluggish.  Scrolling in firefox moves pixels bn
lines.  The Xorg process is eating up lots of CPU cycles and kmsd (I
assume kernel mode switching support in the kernel) also shows up.

At least before the last reboot I see tons of ext4-dio-unwrit processes.
  Last time 81 of them.  And I lost data at one of the many reboots.

The machine is a single socket i7 with plenty of RAM.  Lots of disk, one
RAID 0 and one RAID 1 among the filesystems.  All ext4.  The graphics
card is a dual head ATI.

Anybody else seen something like that?