Re: How do I use the drupal installed via yum?

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 05:01:18PM +0000, Gavin Simpson wrote:
> Thanks. Yes, apache2. Not sure what you mean by the "sites available" directory.

In stock Apache, configuration information is in /etc/apache2.  Websites
are defined in httpd.conf fragments in a directory entitled
"sites-available"; sites that are used in the active configuration are
linked from files in sites-available in the directory "sites-enabled".
Sorry, right now I don't have a Fedora system up to check if they mucked
with the stock configuration.

If you're not totally comfortable working at this level, you can use
Webmin to configure your Apache site(s).

> There is a sites symbolic link to /etc/drupal in /usr/share/drupal.

Well, that's not stock Drupal configuration.  In any case, you'd specify
the DocumentRoot in the configuration file in the sites-available file
for the Drupal site; that can be rooted anywhere, but (of course) you
want to make sure it's a clean directory tree (e.g., no links outside
that tree).

> I think my problem is that I have what looks like a drupal stack in
> /usr/share/drupal which is the kind of thing one would download from
> the drupal site and unpack in the web root.

The default Drupal directory should have the following:

    CHANGELOG.txt
    COPYRIGHT.txt
    cron.php
    includes
    index.php
    INSTALL.mysql.txt
    INSTALL.pgsql.txt
    install.php
    INSTALL.txt
    LICENSE.txt
    MAINTAINERS.txt
    misc [directory]
    modules [directory]
    profiles [directory]
    robots.txt
    scripts [directory]
    sites [directory]
    themes [directory]
    update.php
    UPGRADE.txt
    xmlrpc.php

> However, it is in /usr/share/drupal and I don't want to be serving
> stuff from there - wouldn;t have thought SELinux would allow it. So
> what do I have to configure?

Well, you've a couple of choices.  You could, of course, move the Drupal
directory, but then you're going to have fun in future RPM upgrades.

You could scrap using the distributed RPM and just get Drupal from
drupal.org.  Probably what I'd do.

You could try running it, see how SELinux yelps, and configure it to
shut up; probably a "more correct" Fedora approach.

G'luck,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat@xxxxxxxxxx