Re: difference between /proc/cpuinfo and AMD product specs

On 4 February 2010 15:01, Mike Chambers <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 14:57 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
>> /proc/cpuinfo shows the current clock speed.  Many processors,
>> especially laptops, scale down the speed of idle processors to save
>> power.
>>
>> Try running a program that contains a tight infinite loop and see what
>> happens then.
>
> Quick question about cpuspeed.  I had it on as well and again it only
> showed 800 like his did.  So what I want to know, is if you have a
> desktop that you use for normal every day computing (web browsing,
> email, update rpms and that type thing) is it worth running cpuspeed and
> letting your cpu's get throttled until needed or however it works (dual
> cpus btw).

I think the central idea is cpuspeed _reduces_ the clock speed when
idle not the other way round. It helps save some power and increase
the life of the die. So the point that you don't use your box for
anything critical isn't relevant here.

I hope this clarifies your query.
--
Suvayu