Re: What driives me crazy about bugzilla [Making Progress]

Sam J Sharpe wrote:
> D'oh - don't usually post from work so my mail isn't set up to reply
> from the right address!
>

> I see machines running Mac OSX as you describe in Places->Network when
> on my corporate network. After some experimentation, I discovered that
> those machines displayed are the ones that are advertising "SFTP
> Transfer Service" via mDNS.
>
> Assuming you've got avahi-daemon running and your local firewall
> isn't denying it, try creating this file and see if your machines show
> up as you expect:
>
> [sam@work services]$ cat /etc/avahi/services/sftp.service
> <?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?>
> <!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
> <service-group>
>   <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
>   <service>
>     <type>_sftp-ssh._tcp</type>
>     <port>22</port>
>   </service>
> </service-group>
>
> Now what the difference is between Gnome and KDE, I don't know. Gnome
> seems to only be showing things that are in the "local" mDNS domain and
> advertising SFTP.

Adding that file to the f12 side but not the f11 side will show an icon
for f12 on the f12 side and permit sftp access.

Adding that file to both f12 and f122 will show icons for both on the
f12 side and allow sftp access to both.

So, good job...great catch.

But, of course, that just shows the inconsistencies in the various
implementations...and raises another question.  From this test, it would
seem that the KDE implementation will send its own MDNS query and ignore
the "defaults" in the services directory.  But, even if GNOME does use
the files in the services directory it seems to be ignoring the
ssh.service file that exists.  Neither f11 nor f12 system offers ssh as
a service under GNOME.  However, KDE in both f11 and f12 offers ssh and
sftp regardless of what is in the services directory.

Very confusing....and what seems to be patternless....at least at this
time without coffee....  :-(

--
What color is a chameleon on a mirror?