RE: What driives me crazy about bugzilla [Making Progress]

D'oh - don't usually post from work so my mail isn't set up to reply
from the right address!

Begin forwarded message:
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:29:36 +0000
From: Sam J Sharpe <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: What driives me crazy about bugzilla [Making Progress]

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 08:53:40 -0600
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 16:20 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > Ed Greshko wrote:
> > >>
> > > OK....  I got an F11 system up and running.  And I now see what
> > > you want.
> > >
> > > On the F11 system I bring up "Places->Network" and indeed there
> > > are icons labeled "f11" and "f12".  Clicking on the "f12" icon
> > > brings up a login dialog which then results in an sftp connection.
> > >
> > > Now.....  The reason you see this on F11 and not F12 is that F11
> > > is sending out MDNS query broadcasts and F12 is responding.
> > *However*,
> > >  F12 is not sending out MDNS queries.  I thought this was due to
> > > the file /etc/sysconfig/network contained "NOZEROCONF=yes" but
> > > changing it to "no" has had not effect.
> > >
> > > So, need to figure out how to get F12 to send MDNS queries.....
> > >
> > OK....this is most definitely a GNOME issue....
>
> Well I ma embarrassed. You reminded me of a truth which confirms your
> analysis. When I observed this phenomena in F11 my other machine was
> running F12. So that changed the whole picture along the lines that
> you have discovered. I am going to have to think further on this
> matter.

Your embarrassment triggered my curiousity ;o)

I see machines running Mac OSX as you describe in Places->Network when
on my corporate network. After some experimentation, I discovered that
those machines displayed are the ones that are advertising "SFTP
Transfer Service" via mDNS.

Assuming you've got avahi-daemon running and your local firewall
isn't denying it, try creating this file and see if your machines show
up as you expect:

[sam@work services]$ cat /etc/avahi/services/sftp.service
<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?>
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
  <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
  <service>
    <type>_sftp-ssh._tcp</type>
    <port>22</port>
  </service>
</service-group>

Now what the difference is between Gnome and KDE, I don't know. Gnome
seems to only be showing things that are in the "local" mDNS domain and
advertising SFTP.

--
Sam