Re: Blacklisting Nouveau

As I am the one who said to blacklist 3D apps, I will explain.
> No 3D hardware support, your software won't work.  It doesn't matter
> what you do or how often you install the software or attempt to edit
> config files, will it work.  It requires 3D support.  It should or could
> be a requirement before YUM installs the application.
>
> To save the confusion, if a user doesn't install 3D video drivers, they
> shouldn't be allowed to install 3D applications.  I have run into it
> many times already.
>
> I do agree with you about different distributions.  I don't recommend
> Fedora to anybody that doesn't have some experience with Linux.
>
> I would really appreciate it if nVidia, ATI or Intel would create RPM's
> for their own cards so we could deal with them directly.  Of course if
> you have a bug, then you have to remove the driver to get any support.
> Of course if the problem is in an application that requires 3D you are
> hooped.

What stops Nouveau from being tested against Blender, various rendering
engines and Varicad,  bog standard widely accepted 3D apps, then
released as fully functional before this discussion eventuated.

To sumarise: In the interim,
Use Fedora and distributions with Nouveau for 2D.
Use Windows, Sun or Apple for 3D modelling, design and rendering.
Roger