Re: A "sound" observation

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> First of all....  I don't know why you use "we".   I don't think you
>> speak for the "Fedora Project".  (OK, I'm very sure you don't speak for
>> the Fedora Project)  I discount most of what you say.
>>

> I am a Fedora KDE packager, so I say "we" when I speak of the KDE SIG in
> particular or Fedora packagers in general. (In this case, it was about how
> KDE is set up in Fedora, so I obviously meant "we" as in the Fedora KDE
> packagers. And yes, I'm one of the decision-makers in KDE SIG.)

That's nice.  Yet, you are still only "one" of the many.  I sure hope
that when you use "we" you have consulted with the others in your
collective to insure you are speaking for everyone.  You certainly
didn't ask when you stated that "we" didn't have the time to help an F9
user with an issue he had.  Nor did you see fit to explain the context
of "we".
>> Second, I know that within the Fedora KDE release pulseaudio is
>> installed by default.  But, unlike GNOME one can easily dispense with
>> pulseaudio with KDE installed from the start.
>>

> PulseAudio is getting more and more integrated in KDE as well. See e.g.:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE_PulseAudio_Integration

Yet, it can still be ripped out nicely in KDE.
>> Third, sound worked just fine on my VM's prior to an update.
>>

> That's because you installed from the F12 KDE spin which had a packaging
> mistake which made Phonon not use PulseAudio. As a result, Phonon would grab
> the sound device directly and prevent PulseAudio from grabbing it. The
> update you complain about is probably the one which fixed that issue.
> (Phonon does use PulseAudio now in F12 + updates.)

It seems I may have not been clear in my original message and left it to
open to interpretation.

Yet I didn't say my original install was from the KDE spin.  The
original install was from the Fedora-12-i386-DVD.iso and customized to
include both GNOME and KDE.  And sound worked just fine.  At some point,
when I wasn't paying attention, sound died.

FWIW, a Ubuntu VM running pulseaudio 0.9.19 works just fine.  Going to
be interesting to see what happens when Ubuntu updates to 0.9.21.
>> IMHO, pulseaudio is a work in progress.
>>

> Almost all software is. That doesn't mean it's not already usable now.

It is, for me, unusable if "updates" break things that used to work.

--
Cole's Law: Thinly sliced cabbage.