Re: A "sound" observation

Ed Greshko wrote:
> First of all....  I don't know why you use "we".   I don't think you
> speak for the "Fedora Project".  (OK, I'm very sure you don't speak for
> the Fedora Project)  I discount most of what you say.

I am a Fedora KDE packager, so I say "we" when I speak of the KDE SIG in
particular or Fedora packagers in general. (In this case, it was about how
KDE is set up in Fedora, so I obviously meant "we" as in the Fedora KDE
packagers. And yes, I'm one of the decision-makers in KDE SIG.)

> Second, I know that within the Fedora KDE release pulseaudio is
> installed by default.  But, unlike GNOME one can easily dispense with
> pulseaudio with KDE installed from the start.

PulseAudio is getting more and more integrated in KDE as well. See e.g.:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE_PulseAudio_Integration

> Third, sound worked just fine on my VM's prior to an update.

That's because you installed from the F12 KDE spin which had a packaging
mistake which made Phonon not use PulseAudio. As a result, Phonon would grab
the sound device directly and prevent PulseAudio from grabbing it. The
update you complain about is probably the one which fixed that issue.
(Phonon does use PulseAudio now in F12 + updates.)

> Others have had their issues with pulse audio even without VMware.

Not all of those are PulseAudio's fault. Sure, PulseAudio also has bugs, but
most of the issues are caused either by broken applications or by broken
ALSA drivers. Many of those issues have already been fixed. PulseAudio
itself also gets many bugfixes.

> IMHO, pulseaudio is a work in progress.

Almost all software is. That doesn't mean it's not already usable now.

        Kevin Kofler