Re: Blacklisting Nouveau

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Though maybe smarter packaging by the rpm fusion people could
>> make using the proprietary nVidia drivers more newbie friendly.

> Definitely, as there is a whole lot of room for improvements (at least
> as far as I can see from my point as long term contributor to RPM Fusion
> and old maintainer of those packages back in 2006 or something). It just
> needs people that are willing to work on those improvements, which is
> something RPM Fusion lacks.

Personally, I just want to say that I'm pretty happy with the way RPM
Fusion's nvidia driver works.  There've been a few problems I've had,
but none to speak of since switching to akmod-nvidia.

Blacklisting nouveau is relatively easy to do wrt adding a line to
grub.  In our environment, I have a script that puppet uses to take
care of this (see below).  It would be nice if the open source drivers
worked perfectly, but I'm a pragmatic user.

#!/usr/bin/perl
# black-nouveau.pl
#
# PURPOSE: Perform the necessary steps to blacklist the nouveau kernel
mod and allow the nvidia driver to work.
#

# Flag, represents whether or not any changes were made.

$update = false;

# The output which will be written out if necessary.

$output = "";

# The file that will be operated on.

$data_file="/boot/grub/grub.conf";

# Open the file, read in its lines, and close it..

open(DAT, $data_file) || die("Could not open file.");

@file_lines=<DAT>;

close(DAT);

# For each line in the file...

foreach $line (@file_lines)
{
	# If the file huas a root= line, but no nouveau...

	if (($line =~ /root=/) and not ($line =~ /rdblacklist=nouveau/))
	{
		# Append the blacklist line, and set the udpate flag.

		$line =~ s/(^.*$)/\1 rdblacklist=nouveau/;
		$update = true;
	}

	# Add the line to the output.

	$output .= $line;

}

# If there is an update...

if ($update eq true)
{
	# Open thhe file, overwrite it, and close it.

	open (DAT, ">".$data_file);

	print DAT $output;

	close(DAT);
}

# Run dracut.

system('dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)');