Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

On Monday 01 February 2010 23:53:32 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > And who supports their own hardware at all? Opensource-ness is immaterial
> > here, ATI doesn't have *any* drivers which would work in F12, for their
> > own latest&greatest graphics card.
>
> Who cares? That card is too expensive anyway! At an Austrian price
> comparison site (but I doubt it's very different elsewhere), the cheapest
> card with that Radeon HD 5970 costs EUR 529.20!!! The cheapest supported
> model is an X1550 at EUR 20.40, the next cheapest an HD 3450 (should work
> with mesa-dri-drivers-experimental) at EUR 22.10. Even an HD 4350 (should
> also work with mesa-dri-drivers-experimental) can be had at only EUR 24.48.
> (Note: Those are all PCI-Express cards.) Those cards are over 20 times
> cheaper! And they're also passively cooled, so you also save power (and
>  thus even more money) and noise. And the chip itself probably also draws
>  less power. Why throw out EUR 500 + energy costs + your freedom just to
>  have the latest?

Ok, when it comes to money, and "who cares?" type of argument, I stop arguing.
:-)

However... While I would never ever spend 500 EUR for a graphics card that
doesn't have a usable driver, I would just like to make a small non-serious
comment --- your argument above can be naturally extended as follows:

<bold>
if you don't buy a computer at all, you save the ultimate amount of your
money, energy and freedom!
</bold>

I'm going to meditate on this.. ;-)

Anyway, I did enter this debate knowing in advance that I am to lose
eventually. And so I admit the debate is lost, but nevertheless I believe I've
made my point about this whole topic.

Kevin, I invite you to provide a closing statement for the thread. I withdraw,
and believe we've beaten this topic to death. :-)

Best, :-)
Marko